Baseline Killer Suspect Gets 438 Years

Court Alerts

[##_1L|1048825293.jpg|width="120" height="101" alt=""|_##]A man accused of being the Phoenix Baseline Killer was sentenced to 438 years in prison Friday for a brutal attack in which he raped a woman while pointing a pistol at her pregnant sister's belly. "It is clear from the record that you cannot function in a civilized society," Superior Court Judge Andrew Klein told Mark Goudeau, who still faces trial for the slayings of eight women and a man in 2005-2006.

The 43-year-old former construction worker was convicted in September of 19 counts, including sexual assault and kidnapping, for assaulting the sisters in 2005 as they walked home from a park.

The sisters told the jury how Goudeau forced them into the bushes near a road and told them to strip, then raped the younger victim while pointing the gun at the other.

"My daughter was in danger before she was even born," said the woman who had been pregnant when the attack occurred. Speaking through an interpreter, she said she still wakes up crying sometimes.

"I will hope for him to never get out," she said.

DNA evidence linked Goudeau to the rape, but he maintained that he was innocent.

"What happened to those two girls was indeed horrible," he told the judge, "but I had nothing to do with it."

"This is just another freak show of a hearing where they convicted an innocent man," Goudeau's wife, Wendy Carr, said outside the courthouse.

Klein said before handing down the sentence that Goudeau must have two "diametrically opposed" personalities, one calm and respectful in court and the other sociopathic and brutal.

Maricopa County Prosecutors had said earlier that Goudeau faced a maximum of 285 years in prison. But Deputy County Attorney Suzanne Cohen proved a prior violent record in court Friday that made him eligible for the higher sentences.

Goudeau still faces trial on 74 other criminal charges, including nine murder counts, from a crime spree police have attributed to the Baseline Killer, named for the south Phoenix street where many of the early attacks took place. He has pleaded not guilty.

If Goudeau is convicted of murder, County Attorney Andrew Thomas has said he will pursue the death penalty.

Goudeau is the first of three suspects in serial killing to go on trial for a rash of random attacks that terrorized the Phoenix area for more than a year in 2005 and 2006. All three were arrested last year.

Dale Hausner and Samuel Dieteman were arrested in the so-called "Serial Shooter" case in August 2006 and are expected to go on trial next year. Hausner faces seven murder counts and Dieteman is charged with two. Their trial is expect to begin next year.

Related listings

  • Lawsuit claims Kidd groped model at club

    Lawsuit claims Kidd groped model at club

    Court Alerts 12/15/2007

    New Jersey Nets star Jason Kidd is being sued by a 23-year-old model who accused him of groping and threatening her at a Manhattan nightclub two months ago. An attorney for Kidd called the allegations "false" and "defamatory" and the lawsuit an attem...

  • Woman Pleads Guilty in NY Fatal Stabbing

    Woman Pleads Guilty in NY Fatal Stabbing

    Court Alerts 12/14/2007

    [##_1L|1279364011.jpg|width="140" height="105" alt=""|_##]The girlfriend of a former tour manager for Billy Joel and Paul Simon pleaded guilty Thursday to stabbing the man to death two years ago during a fight in their apartment. Kathleen Connors, 39...

  • 'Ultimate Fighting' star pleads guilty to assault charge

    'Ultimate Fighting' star pleads guilty to assault charge

    Court Alerts 12/14/2007

    Jon Koppenhaver, known as “War Machine” from Spike TV's reality series “The Ultimate Fighter,” pleaded guilty Thursday in Superior Court to a felony assault charge. The professional cage-fighter choked a Las Vegas man unconscious and hit him in the f...

Illinois Work Injury Lawyers – Krol, Bongiorno & Given, LTD.

Accidents in the workplace are often caused by unsafe work conditions arising from ignoring safety rules, overlooking maintenance or other negligence of those in management. While we are one of the largest firms in Illinois dedicated solely to the representation of injured workers, we pride ourselves on the personal, one-on-one approach we deliver to each client.

Work accidents can cause serious injuries and sometimes permanent damage. Some extremely serious work injuries can permanently hinder a person’s ability to get around and continue their daily duties. Factors that affect one’s quality of life such as place of work, relationships with friends and family, and social standing can all be taken away quickly by a work injury. Although, you may not be able to recover all of your losses, you may be entitled to compensation as a result of your work injury. Krol, Bongiorno & Given, LTD. provides informed advocacy in all kinds of workers’ compensation claims, including:

• Injuries to the back and neck, including severe spinal cord injuries
• Serious head injuries
• Heart problems resulting from workplace activities
• Injuries to the knees, elbows, shoulders and other joints
• Injuries caused by repetitive movements

For Illinois Workers’ Compensation claims, you will ALWAYS cheat yourself if you do not hire an experienced attorney. When you hire Krol, Bongiorno & Given, Ltd, you will have someone to guide you through the process, and when it is time to settle, we will add value to your case IN EXCESS of our fee. In the last few years, employers and insurance carriers have sought to advance the argument that when you settle a case without an attorney, your already low settlement should be further reduced by 20% so that you do not get a “windfall.” Representing yourself in Illinois is a lose-lose proposition.

Business News

St Peters, MO Professional License Attorney Attorney John Lynch has been the go-to choice for many professionals facing administrative sanction. >> read