Iowa court orders that Chicago officer be freed
Court Alerts
An appeals court on Wednesday ordered a Chicago police officer freed from prison in an Iowa assault case that has top brass back home defending one of their own.
The Iowa Court of Appeals said Officer Michael Mette's trial judge had no testimony on which to base her ruling that he could have walked away from a fight with another man — but didn't.
Mette had argued self-defense in the 2005 fight in Dubuque with Jake Gothard that left Gothard with a fractured nose, cheek and jaw.
In November 2006, 1st Judicial District Judge Monica Ackley found Mette guilty of assault causing serious injury and sentenced him to five years. She said Mette was not the initial aggressor but could have retreated.
The case prompted an outcry in Chicago, where prominent officials — including Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, Cook County State's Attorney Richard Devine and Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis — had called for Mette's release.
In its ruling, the appeals court found that there was no testimony to support Ackley's findings.
Related listings
-
High court rebuffs Louisiana in child rape case
Court Alerts 10/02/2008The Supreme Court declined Wednesday to revisit its recent decision outlawing executions for people convicted of raping children.The unusual request, from Louisiana and the Bush administration, was based on the failure of anyone involved in the case ...
-
O.J. friend to testify for defense in Vegas trial
Court Alerts 10/01/2008The wedding of a close friend brought O.J. Simpson and other men together last year around a Las Vegas hotel-casino pool, where prosecutors allege plans were made for the armed robbery of two sports memorabilia dealers peddling the former football st...
-
Ex-CIA executive pleads guilty to wire fraud
Court Alerts 09/30/2008A former high-ranking CIA official pleaded guilty Monday to abusing his influence within the agency to direct lucrative contracts toward an old friend who showered him with tens of thousands of dollars worth of gifts.Kyle "Dusty" Foggo, 53, of Vienna...

Victorville CA DUI defense Attorneys
The outcome of a DUI defense will have a long-term effect on anyone’s life, making the decision to receive legal representation an easy one. The fact is, most people accused of a DUI are first offenders with no criminal background. Whether this is your first run in with the law or you have had previous convictions, you are in need of a DUI defense attorney.
The charges you are facing for a DUI range from fines, a 12-month suspension on your license and worst-case scenario, prison time. Your attorney will be able to analyze your situation to decide the best way to go about your case.
Our attorneys know the tricky ways to challenge all of the DUI tests and know how to claim improper collection of evidence. We will be able to negotiate on your behalf and free you from charges and help you keep your drivers license. The DUI process can last up to several months, we can make this process easier on you. .