Spammer Ralsky pleads guilty to stock fraud
Court Alerts
Alan Ralsky, a spam kingpin who was convicted of felony bank fraud in 1995, could face more than seven years in prison after pleading guilty in a stock fraud case involving spam messages that pumped up Chinese "penny" stocks.
Ralsky and four other individuals pleaded guilty on Monday, joining three others who had pleaded guilty earlier, the US Department of Justice announced on Monday. Cases are still pending against three other people, they said. The defendants were indicted in the Eastern District of Michigan in 2007.
In 2004 and 2005, the group engaged in a set of related conspiracies to manipulate stocks using false and misleading spam messages. After the spam boosted the trading volume and prices of the thinly traded stocks, the conspirators profited by trading in their shares. Many of the shares were low-priced "pink sheet" stocks for US companies owned by individuals in Hong Kong and China, the DOJ said.
Ralsky, 64, of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud and mail fraud and to violate the CAN-SPAM Act. As part of his guilty plea, Ralsky acknowledged he faces as much as 87 months in prison and a US$1 million fine. Ralsky's son-in-law, Scott Bradley, 38, also of Bloomfield Hills, pleaded guilty to the same charges and acknowledged he faces as long as 78 months in prison and a $1 million fine.
John Bown, 45, of Fresno, California, admitted creating a botnet to send the spam. Bown pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud and mail fraud and to violate the CAN-SPAM Act, as well as conspiracy to commit computer fraud. He faces as much as 63 months in prison and a US$75,000 fine. William Neil, 46, of Fresno, and James Fite, 36, of Culver City, California, also pleaded guilty in the case. All five defendants are scheduled to be sentenced on October 29.
Related listings
-
No benefits for LA girl born from dead man's sperm
Court Alerts 06/19/2009A 10-year-old girl conceived from the frozen sperm of a dead man cannot receive his Social Security benefits, a federal appeals court ruled. A panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday upheld a lower court's rejection of child survi...
-
Court upholds settlement in asbestos law
Court Alerts 06/18/2009The Supreme Court has agreed to reinstate a roughly $500 million settlement of asbestos lawsuits against the Travelers Companies Inc. Travelers had been named in lawsuits alleging that it tried to hide dangerous health effects of asbestos. The compan...
-
Court finds convicts have no right to test DNA
Court Alerts 06/18/2009The Supreme Court said Thursday that convicts have no constitutional right to test DNA evidence in hopes of proving their innocence long after they were found guilty of a crime. The decision may have limited impact because the federal government and ...

Is Now the Time to Really Call a Special Education Lawyer?
IDEA, FAPE, CHILD FIND and IEPs: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) guarantees all children with disabilities to a free appropriate public education (FAPE). FAPE starts with a school’s responsibility to identify that a child has a disability (Child Find) and create an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to suit the needs of the child.
Forte Law Group is one of only a very few law firms within the state of Connecticut that is dedicated to exclusively representing families and children with special needs.
Parents need to be persistent, dedicated and above all else aware of the many services and accommodations that their child is entitled to under the law. As early as this point within your child’s special education, many parents will often find themselves in the situation asking, “is now the time to really call a special education lawyer?” Here are a few things to consider when asking yourself that question.