Feds: Young Muslims revered NC terrorism leader

Lawyer Blogs

Daniel Patrick Boyd developed a following in his local Muslim community as believers learned about his time waging war against the Soviets in Afghanistan, and he used that stature to tell young followers about the need for violent jihad, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Boyd has now acknowledged his involvement in supporting and plotting terrorism, pleading guilty in federal court to a pair of charges as prosecutors laid out new details of his activities. The plea provided the government with a crucial conviction against what they have described as a ringleader who guided a Raleigh-area group that sought to wage war against nonbelievers.

Prosecutors said the case illustrated the growing concern of homegrown terrorism.

"The radicalization of Muslims here in our country is a very serious threat," U.S. attorney George Holding said.

More than a half-dozen others have been charged in the case, and most of them were younger than 25 when they were indicted in July 2009, including two of Boyd's sons — Zakariya and Dylan. A trial is scheduled for September. Prosecutors said Boyd is cooperating in the case.

With his once-flowing beard shaven clean and hair slicked back, Boyd tearfully answered a judge's yes-or-no questions before finalizing his guilty plea. He smiled at a few family members in the audience. They declined to comment after the hearing, though his wife has said in the past that he was not involved in terrorism.

Related listings

  • Man expected to plead guilty in Iowa asbestos case

    Man expected to plead guilty in Iowa asbestos case

    Lawyer Blogs 02/09/2011

    Court records say the supervisor of a renovation project in Des Moines' Equitable Building has agreed to plead guilty to asbestos-removal charges. The Des Moines Register says Russell Coco's lawyer confirmed Tuesday that Coco will plead guilty to vio...

  • Appeals court rejects sanctuary policy lawsuit

    Appeals court rejects sanctuary policy lawsuit

    Lawyer Blogs 02/01/2011

    A state appeals court says San Francisco cannot be held responsible for the deaths of a father and two sons allegedly killed by a man who had been protected by the city's sanctuary policy. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the court ruled Mond...

  • Ex-broker faces sentencing stealing from clients

    Ex-broker faces sentencing stealing from clients

    Lawyer Blogs 01/31/2011

    A former Connecticut securities broker faces sentencing for stealing more than $1.35 million from his clients.Gregory Buchholz of Bridgewater is scheduled to be sentenced Monday in federal court in Bridgeport. He pleaded guilty to wire fraud.Prosecut...

Is Now the Time to Really Call a Special Education Lawyer?

IDEA, FAPE, CHILD FIND and IEPs: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) guarantees all children with disabilities to a free appropriate public education (FAPE). FAPE starts with a school’s responsibility to identify that a child has a disability (Child Find) and create an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to suit the needs of the child.

Forte Law Group is one of only a very few law firms within the state of Connecticut that is dedicated to exclusively representing families and children with special needs.

Parents need to be persistent, dedicated and above all else aware of the many services and accommodations that their child is entitled to under the law. As early as this point within your child’s special education, many parents will often find themselves in the situation asking, “is now the time to really call a special education lawyer?” Here are a few things to consider when asking yourself that question.

Business News

St Peters, MO Professional License Attorney Attorney John Lynch has been the go-to choice for many professionals facing administrative sanction. >> read