High court rejects Moore's appeal on tobacco money
Lawyer Blogs
[##_1L|1407093636.jpg|width="130" height="98" alt=""|_##]The Mississippi Supreme Court, in a 6-1 decision Thursday, officially killed the smoking cessation program started with lawsuit proceeds from major tobacco companies. Justice George Carlson of Batesville, writing for the majority, said the controversial Partnership for a Healthy Mississippi is not entitled to a portion of annual tobacco settlement funds the state receives from the cigarette makers.
The private, nonprofit Partnership was started in Decmeber 2000 after Attorney General Michael Moore was successful in persuading a Jackson County chancery judge to start the program. To do so, the judge diverted to the Partnership $20 million per year of the $110 million the state receives annually from the tobacco companies.
Gov. Haley Barbour and Treasurer Tate Reeves filed suit, claiming the judge's decision to appropriate the money to the Partnership was unconstitutional. The settlement funds, they argued, were state money and only the Legislature can spend the funds.
Carlson wrote "...it is the Legislature's solemn duty and responsibility to appropriate these funds and not that of the judiciary." The ruling was not unexpected.
Justice Oliver Diaz of Biloxi was the only member of the high court to dissent. He said the issue had been settled in 2000 and it was too late for Barbour and Reeves to object.
Barbour said the ruling pointed out "a local judge and the attorney general have no power to give taxpayer money to a private charity."
"It's a shame it look a long, drawn-out lawsuit to stop this illegal and unconstitutional diversion of taxpayer money."
Democratic gubernatorial candidate John Arthur Eaves said Barbour, a former Washington lobbyist who represented tobacco companies, is continuing "to put the interest of his Washington cronies above those of Mississippi children."
Moore said Thursday the issue had never been about constitutionality for Barbour. He said that to appease Barbour, the Legislature voted in 2006 to appropriate the funds to the Partnership, but the governor vetoed the bill.
Related listings
-
Lawmakers kill vote on gay marriage ban
Lawyer Blogs 06/15/2007Massachusetts lawmakers Thursday threw out a proposed constitutional amendment that would have let voters decide whether to ban gay marriage in the only state that allows it.The vote was a devastating blow to efforts to reverse a 2003 court ruling le...
-
UC Appeals Enron Bank Case to Supreme Court
Lawyer Blogs 06/14/2007[##_1L|1091891714.jpg|width="180" height="128" alt=""|_##]The University of California has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal to overturn a decision that banks could not be held responsible for losses incurred during the Enron Corporation...
-
Lawyer accused of stealing trust money
Lawyer Blogs 06/14/2007[##_1L|1149882388.jpg|width="90" height="119" alt=""|_##]Before he died in 2002, the Rev. Vincent O'Dea made sure a charitable trust he founded would continue to bestow his generosity on worthy causes for years to come. But prosecutors say the lawyer...

Victorville CA DUI defense Attorneys
The outcome of a DUI defense will have a long-term effect on anyone’s life, making the decision to receive legal representation an easy one. The fact is, most people accused of a DUI are first offenders with no criminal background. Whether this is your first run in with the law or you have had previous convictions, you are in need of a DUI defense attorney.
The charges you are facing for a DUI range from fines, a 12-month suspension on your license and worst-case scenario, prison time. Your attorney will be able to analyze your situation to decide the best way to go about your case.
Our attorneys know the tricky ways to challenge all of the DUI tests and know how to claim improper collection of evidence. We will be able to negotiate on your behalf and free you from charges and help you keep your drivers license. The DUI process can last up to several months, we can make this process easier on you. .